Tuesday 23 April 2013

Entrepreneurial sickness


Maybe it's me, but I my frustration with the world is showing. I went to a meeting for start ups last night and I think I upset a few people. I come from a background in business which is no bullshit based, maximum money and minimum waste, it's called optimisation..and don't waste your time. The subject was called lean start up based on the book ...based on Japanese working practice. Lean actually means testing your idea with a minimum of investment, testing the Market before you waste your time. Unfortunately I got the feeling for the most of the attendees lean meant not eating until your business became profitable in a couple of years..and then it's time for pay back. Eating your own shoes and legs is fine, but it's a little silly to me, and the most difficult aspect of the evening was the level of understanding of business, and what it takes to run a business successfully. Simply selling a product and testing a Market these days is essentially setting a website up and going for it for under a £100, with a bit of google pay per click to see the results of your tempting product. It's all very easy to take a punt with an app but the level of thought in the application of ideas was basically non existent. Over the period I have been doing this project and attending meetings, my experiences have led me to one conclusion on business...entrepreneurialism is a sickness in modern society, a dream alternative only the few realise. I have nothing against creative thought, I work hard to develop it in people and it's what this project is all about , but to watch people with not a clue about business, stumble about with the blind leading the blind .. all for the religion of the E word is actually very depressing. The Internet gave rise to everyone thinking they can be an internet entrepreneur, just as the the property boom gave rise to everyone thinking they could be a property entrepreneur. The strange thing now is that it's now not about getting rich, is just about signing up for an alternative not related to money, because all of these people live without generating any. Just to be clear, I would never label myself as an entrepreneur ...because it's presumptuous. I'm not Richard Branson and I have no desire to be like him. A true entrepreneur is a visionary, a leader and a creative. It's a little different to being in business for yourself. I really don't care what people call themselves, but when the word starts to represent an illusion, and an alternative that over 95% will fail in, you have to step back for a minute and think where this is all leading?

No comments:

Post a Comment