Thursday 18 April 2013

Coach or Consultant


What's the difference in a coach and a consultant. Good question. I guess I describe myself as a consultant because coach seems to make me think of a old guy who loves baseball, or a fluffy life coach. I don't identify with either, ok I'm going a bit grey but I haven't a clue about base ball, or being very fluffy. I sit with a client and find out what they think they really want from life, and then I find out why they think they really want it. I'm a consultant on business, relationships, language patterns, careers, and problems. My expertise in these areas comes from running many business, creating multi million pound enterprises from scratch around the world but never calling myself an entrepreneur, from working with many disciplines of psychology, hypnosis, NLP and social dynamics, to understand the way people behave and react but never defining myself as a coach although I will use the word sometimes. As a consultant, I increase my clients understanding of what they are communicating and how other people are likely to respond. Knowing human behaviour allows you to control the interactions you have far better than thinking of life as a random exercise where you blame others for their shortcomings. My key skill is my creative sense and expansive alternative thinking, put simply, I'm worlds apart form the majority of people and have always been so from day one in my approach to conformity. Why do we have to conform to the expectations of society and others, just because everyone else does...it doesn't make it right. And for the most part this is why my clients work with me, I'm demanding and I demand more from them than they are used to, simply because they feel in life like a square peg in a round hole. When I was a kid I loved banging square pegs into round holes because people kept telling me that doesn't go there. My attitude was the square peg might look square but actually inside it might be round, I'm just freeing the peg up to have more choice, rather than conform to some one else's ideas of where the peg should go. There are no rules other than those we make for our own jails of life, I guess I spend my time breaking others out of jail

No comments:

Post a Comment