Friday 24 February 2012

Why the Law of Attraction Doesn't Work

Why doesn't the Law of Attraction Work.

One of the purposes of this blog is to give those involved a few coaching pointers on business development, personal development, entrepreneurialism (sounds like a disease) and the meaning of life as whole. Basically some common sense that the author has come across through living and focusing in areas that are of interest and support.

Now, you may have heard the phrase 'opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one', and as you move though life you could be forgiven for  wondering what's the value of an opinion, other than somewhere to hang your ego or security hat. Why do people fight for what they think is right, well the more people that come over to your way of thinking, the more right you become funnily enough, and there's nothing like the desire to be right, because if you're wrong, then thats failure, which, from the  conditioning we all suffer,  is a deeply scary word that renders most of humanity inactive.

So what is the value of my opinion to you? Absolutely Nothing, unless of course it makes you money or gives you power. The difference between a entrepreneur, sales person, politician, coach, or public figure and anybody else, is the cost financially of expressing an opinion. People who make money out of what they say, have to be careful what they say or you guessed it, there's a cost to the opinion.

Let's take the MP that decided this week to bash his fellows in the back bench and spend a night in the cells. I could say well done, there's a whole lot more up there that need their heads banged together, so you've got my vote mate. Or I could say, what a shame he had to do it in the bar as opposed to on TV in the commons so we could all see it. Or I could say how deplorable that another MP turns out to be a human after all, rather than being holier than thou,  like the rest of them because they might loose votes.

Any of those statements are just opinions and are of no value to you other than a potential chuckle,  which is to me worth a great deal in current times, alternatively, you could see them as insensitive and politically incorrect. The point being, they are opinions and of no commercial value to you. Therefore, as a coach and a salesperson, the information you may gain from these posts are formed from not just having an opinion, but one that has a commercial edge to it, in my case people will invest in me to hear the advice I give. I'm not any wiser than anyone else, I've just spent my career engaged in finding out what works and why it doesn't, rather than any other job. I'm not a fireman, and the extent of my knowledge on fire fighting is.. get a fire extinguisher, I'm not a policeman and the extent of my knowledge of policing is how to avoid it, especially when I'm driving. I'm not a doctor so I don't have a very good opinion on doctors, or did I mean to say about doctoring. I'm not a professional in these areas. How my career started was in finding the power  of influence, I wanted to know how I could control every person I ever met, and after years of practice, I of course failed...... with the minority, but did very well with the majority. I then spent time explaining to others the principles I had plagiarised and developed myself. 

But I found the power of influence was only one piece of the puzzle of success, you have to become aware of a few more to start to really find the success you will be most at home with. For whilst you might have great ideas when you start out of being this, or that, because my father wanted me to be or my parents didn't, once you get to where you wanted to be or loose the original motivation,  you will often find it's an empty cup, and actually wonder what you've been doing all those years.

A friend of mine rang me a couple of years ago and said she was reading the is wonderful book called The Secret and how it was going o change her life (so many people want to 'change their life',sometimes I not exactly sure of the statement as it sounds like you can take it back to an of the peg shop and say, 'this one doesn't fit,can I have two sizes bigger please?' only you have the power to construct it the way you want it).
 It did, it made her smile for a few weeks with a new enthusiasm, and then, as the results didnt show themselves, she lost interest. 

This is one of the reasons why the law of attraction doesn't work, amongst others. If you read the Secret, or change your life books they can have a profound effect on your mind and your approach to life. However, and it is a big however, if you are 40yrs old you've had 40 years of conditioning in one way, (not using the law of atttraction conciously to your benefit) it's not surprising that it doesn't all change overnight. The second problem is, however much you are keen and enthusiastic the world around you doesn't quite get why you look like you've taken a few happy pills, and chooses to avoid the silly person thats starting to believe in strange forces at work. 

Another friend of mine said one day, she was going to concentrate on the law of attraction purely, till it gave her what she wanted. So she laid in bed for three days visualising a man with money. Indeed, through Internet dating sites on her bedside lap top, she found a man who promised her ten thousand pounds to come away for the weekend. This was attraction working, but I'm not sure if it was within the law.

To become a success, you are first going to have to realise you will not only be fighting the negative conditioning inside you, but also all that negative conditioning you meet in everyday life, which, if you let it, will overwhelm you and cause you to loose faith. Therefore, the principles I advise people to take is to engage the full diversity  the power of their mind:  influence, understanding , and self belief... Once you have these you will be in a considerably better position to engage the law of attraction from a foundation of strength and focus,  rather than just hoping for the best, with a sporadic approach.

 Remember, if the cosmos was Father Christmas, and you kept changing your mind on what you wanted for Xmas every day, it's unlikely he is going to be emptying his sack of goodies on your proverbial lap, with any real care of what comes out.





"It's fashionable to believe in nothing, but fashion is just one of those things that leads public opinion, and opinions are as we know a bit like arse holes, everyone’s got one. If you believe in nothing, you’re likely to disappear up your own, and never be heard of again."

No comments:

Post a Comment