Sunday 19 February 2012

FIRST BASH (CRASH) AT RIDING THE MONEY TRAIN

Now,  I'm not a woman, but for some reason I can multiple task like the best of them, so I set about working out how I would make a million in one year. Funnily I immediately had a clear cut plan on how you could get to a million, but the issue was always going to be people, you see the problem with any business is like a triangle. You've got product, you've got a Market, but what going to let you down is people. Why, well it's back to the same old reason why most of the population aren't rich, they find 1000 and one reasons not to be, and a rich person finds an infinate number of reasons to be. But, armed with this information and foresight I completely ignored it and decided that humanity had changed it's shoes overnight and would take up the mantle of success. After all, I would like to help the majority to success in this exercise, which having worked with the minority who had no other focus for most of my life, I set about seeing if I could. Now the rules of this exercise to start with was that I couldn't directly tell anyone what the project involved, till I made money. I had to inspire them with a business that would ultimately lead to my goal, so what more inspirational than change the worlds problems and make money.

So I converted my personal website into my own publishing company promoting the three books that I chose to get published on demand which you can do for free if you choose through Lulu.com So from my £35 budget I advertised on the Gumtree for assistants to help me with the sales and makarketing of the books. The response was ok, so I decide with the assistance of a very lovely and curtios manager of the Master Gunner Tavern Finsbury Sq, Lisa,( mention me if you go in, the food is good as well as the service) to hold a recruitment event in their function room on the basis it might bring paying customers into the pub. Remember, I only have £65 of my budget left so paying foR a function room was out of the question.

On a cold evening in January, 17 people turned up and I proceed to unveil my plan. Basically in the publishing world there are up to six pairs of hands between writer and reader: agent, publisher,printer, distributer, wholesaler, retailer. So if I took all those people out and gave my recruits all the money for sales and marketing they shouldn't do too bad with up to 75% of the book purchase. One book indeed was my method to change the world, which gave the purchaser the ability to have their own thoughts published for free in every revised copy and a commission for recommending the book. Yes a little MLM program that people hate because they don't really understand it,  distribution chains do because it takes their business, and the government hates because they are the biggest pyramid scheme of the lot. Never been in MLM myself, but everybody I've ever met who has was always pretty happy. Yes I know there's bad publicity, but tell me an industry that hasn't, and if you want to find liars and cheats rather than ordinary people go into politics. Anyway, I've seen how the world moves and its not all as it may seem, but for my project, you bought a book, if you liked it, and if you recommended it you get a commission, or a thank you, and every time a book was sold because of you original recommendation you got paid a £1 x 6 level. To the uninitiated, that means if you recommended the book and ten people bought it, and the same thing  happened six times you'd make a million, as well as having your words in print.

Ok whats the down side, you get a book with your words published for eternity in a book about having the last words in eternity.

My out of work young audience would be paid £10 of the £20 price of each book to sell it and the next £6 MLM over ride. Well for those of you who hate MLM for you own reasons you'll hate me for suggesting it, but I think it's a fair deal, especially as the balance if the purchase price is the cost of production. So to you I say I constructed a method not about me, making loads of money,  but about others within the rules I set out for the project so people could follow to the million.



So what did they have to do, market book seminars once a week which would explain to anyone who wanted to know, how you could get you're own book published for free, I would do the rest by holding the seminar and explaining the self publishing exercise and selling a few of my books. They did the marketing, went out for a social once a week and chatted to people about the project. That's it. And I offered them all a job, as 90% said they were on Facebook up to 3 hours a day, so marketing would be easy, and they only had to come to work for the seminar and get paid once a week.  Well needles to say, if they had brought a rope I would have been lynched, and some of you might say rightly so, offering those poor defenceless young people the corruption of your sick and depraved mind. Couldn't you just leave them in bed where they said they would have been, rather than wasting their important time listing to me.
Well here's a list of the negatives, and I will take some responsibility for letting the whole thing turn into a witch hunt for MLM form people who clearly had no experience or knowledge on the subject but hear say and what they've read on the internet. And before you say anything for every MLM program that's gone bad, theres hundreds that survive and prosper  including Alan Sugar, Donald Trump, and most every affiliate or networking program you see on the internet.

But public opinion lead the way on this one and with my applicants it went like this...

All the people on the bottom loose out when no more people are interested... What people on the bottom, there's only 6 billion in the world and I'm always writing new books.
If we all had a million the world would come to an end... well that's a good reason to stay poor and ban The Apprentice from TV.
Nobody reads hard books anymore, it's all Internet based. ... Tell that to Waterstones and Amazon... And why do you what a job in publishing  then?
Can't you bring the people to the seminar .... Well it was a marketing job so what would you be doing?
Couldn't you pay us all a basic... No I'm not that rich and seventeen people lying in bed all day waiting for me to do the job I'm recruiting you for doesn't  seem that attractive.
Why would someone buy a book?... Because you sold it's benefits.
I don't like selling or salespeople...this is a sales job, I'm sorry we are all selling something to someone, not always for money, and we all buy it in the end.
So I get 75% of the book price of £20, which is £15 can't we sell it for £10 and get the same commission? ...No, I'm sorry.
I don't like books... Sorry this is a publishing interview
I don't like people making money .... So why do you want me to pay you?
I think the exchange rate in Africa would not make a million the same way as the UK .... I've got a headache and I want to go home now children.
I'd rather stay in bed...so would I.

So out of 17 young enthusiastic hopefuls, I have to say, back to the drawing board and writing FatMan, it's safer in my illogical surreal fictional world.
Youth 17     ...... Me 0


"I made a lot of money in pyramid selling, but that was three thousand years ago, and the bottom fell out of that one"

No comments:

Post a Comment